recipes from the heartland
ashley bare's chicken-fried steak banh mi slider recipe
There are a few recipes that rise to the pantheon of comfort food dishes and the humble, yet always reliable chicken-fried steak is one of them. Ashley Bare, a recipe developer in Kansas City, combined the traditional comfort of the chicken-fried steak with the Asian flavors of banh mi for a truly amazing fusion experience.
why we love this recipe
The chicken-fried steak is crunchy and oh, so satisfying, while the spicy aioli combines with notes of citrus, mint and cilantro to offer a flavor explosion between two slider buns. The chicken-fried steak sliders are straightforward and can be made with ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry. This recipe can be as adventurous as you like. Are you a minimalist? Crisp up some chicken-fried steaks and make the aioli. Maximalist? Check out the optional toppings and pickled carrots. You're in charge of your own food adventure.
- Time: 45-60 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 6 oz cube steaks, cut in half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup neutral oil for cooking (canola or similar)
- 8 slider buns
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- Fresh jalapeños, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint, picked
- Liver pate (optional)
Pickled Carrots (optional)
- 4 carrots, julienned, or 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- In a bowl, beat eggs and fish sauce. Stir flour and spices together in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Season portioned cube steak patties with salt and pepper on both sides. One patty at a time, dip into seasoned flour to coat. Then, dip into egg wash, and, finally back into the flour. Use one hand in wet ingredients and one hand in dry.
- Make spicy aioli by combining mayo, chili sauce, lime zest and juice. Set in refrigerator.
- Drizzle slider rolls with oil and place into a 350° F oven to toast, about 5-7 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet with 4 tbsp of neutral cooking oil. Place patties in hot skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side. A golden crust should form before flipping. Remove from pan and top with more salt to taste.
- To assemble sliders, spread 1 tbsp of aioli on each side of bun. Place patty on bottom of bun, Spread 1 tbsp of pate, if desired, over aioli. Top with your choice of toppings. Enjoy.
Pickled Carrots Instructions
- Over medium-high heat, combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Heat until sugar dissolves. Pour hot liquid over julienned carrots. Let sit for 1 hour or store in fridge for up to a month.