ground beef tortilla towers
Piled high and chock-full of nutrients, this tower of beef and cheesy tortillas with a fresh fruit salsa is sure to please everyone in the family.
- Time: 30 min
- Serves 4
- 1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick-and-chunky salsa
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 small whole wheat tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Stir in salsa, beans and cumin. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through and most of liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
2. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place 2 tortillas in single layer on pan. Spoon generous 1/2 cup beef mixture on each tortilla; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Repeat layering of tortillas, beef mixture and cheese twice. Sprinkle remaining cheese over tops of tortilla towers. Cut 8 small stars from remaining tortilla with cookie cutter; arrange on towers. Bake in 350°F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.
3. Cut each stacker into 4 wedges.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.