- Time: 70 min
- Serving Size: 8
- 1 beef Bottom Round Roast or beef Chuck Center Roast (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups green cabbage
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
Pressure Cooker Instructions
1. Place beef roast in pressure cooker; add 1/2 cup beef broth. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 70 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Remove beef and set aside. Turn off pressure cooker.
2. Add whiskey, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper to cooking liquid in pressure cooker. Set pressure cooker to "Soup / Broth". Simmer 20-25 minutes until mixture is reduced and desired consistency is reached.
3. Combine beef with sauce in pressure cooker and shred.
4. Serve with slaw or on a bun.
slow COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place roast in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Combine whiskey, 1/4 cup vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is, fork-tender.
To make the slaw: Combine remaining 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and mustard in large bowl. Add carrots and cabbage; mix well. Season with salt and black pepper as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve beef with slaw.
Cook's Tip: Thinly sliced apples, pears, celery, or a pre-packaged slaw mix can be used for added variety